Monday, March 30, 2009

Cleaning a "vintage" SLR flim camera

Well a couple evenings ago I started to clean up my dad's Sears KS Super 35 mm SLR film camera that he let me borrow for a photography course I will be taking in the summer. I learned that you should not ever:

touch with finger, lens paper, air, or brush the inside of the camera body
(unless you know what you are doing, which of course I had not a clue)

The focusing screen and the mirror inside the camera body are very sensitive and can be easily scratched or smudged. If the mirror damper or rather the strip of black padding becomes dry rotted due to age, it can cause real problems once disrupted with the slightest touch as the residue could fall onto the focusing screen. The residue is sticky and will become a permanent reminder of your cleaning experience.

Some other camera models may be easier to clean but use caution when searching the Internet for solutions for your problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment